Pages

11.21.2008

Yougurt Instead of Eggs Chocolate Chip Cookies!

So we pretty much never have eggs in our apartment (neither of us really eat them much) BUT I have been experimenting more with baking, and have found myself using way too much of my roommate's egg replacer. I like it but really, it's not exactly a complete replacement of eggs. There is something missing in the area of fat, which is necessary for deliciousness.

Anyway, I found this recipe for yogurt chocolate chip cookies over at allrecipes.com and I decided to try it. My roommate had happened to have some whole-milk yogurt in the fridge so I used it. I was finding the dough a bit dry so I decided to add a bit more yogurt.

ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/4 cup margarine or butter
  • 1/4 cup shortening
  • 1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

how to:

  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets.
  2. In a medium bowl, cream together the brown sugar, white sugar, margarine and shortening until light and fluffy.
  3. Stir in yogurt and vanilla.
  4. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. I use a sifter to do this and a dry whisk to mix it up.
  5. Sift the mixture into the creamed mixture until incorporated,
  6. Dump in your chocolate.
  7. At this point, I grabbed the good ol' ice cream scoop and dropped the scoops about 2 inches apart onto the prepared cookie sheets.
  8. The original recipe said to bake for 8 to 10 minutes until the edges begin to brown. But (maybe it's my oven) after 10 minutes I found they needed about 2 more minutes to brown properly.
  9. Let the cookies cool for a minute on the cookie sheets before removing to wire racks to cool completely. Okay, so I didn't put them on racks like the recipe says, I put them directly on the pizza stone that has multiple uses in my apartment.
  10. ENJOY! Eat one while it's still warm!

These cookies have stayed pretty chewy on the inside over the past few days. I think If I try to make it again, I'll reduce the sugar (I think they were way too sweet) and I might do a batch with chopped-up Andes mints!

yum.

1 comments:

Sandra said...

i love baking with yogurt instead of egg! it's so much healthier and pretty much tastes the same. even when you use ff yogurt the consistency is still great.